Heavier Rear Anti Roll Bar ??

Schrauben, How-to's, Tips, Daten

Moderator: Moderator

Heavier Rear Anti Roll Bar ??

Beitragvon Matsalleh76 » 5. Nov 2009, 16:04

Would there be any interest on your side for a rear ARB slightly heavier than the 18mm Evo rear bar, say, 20 or 21mm?

The reason for asking is a number of people have fitted heavier front bars to their 201's flattening the cornering stance but greatly increasing understeer.

A 28mm 500e or 26mm 400e bar on the front with the standard 13mm or 16mm rear bar will flatten cornering but spoil the car's inherent balanced good handling: it plows through corners.

Fitting an 18mm rear EVO bar will bring the balance back closer to what it should be but with the heavy front bar the car still understeers more than it should. Playing with tire pressures helps a bit but doesn't cure the inbalance.

Here is what I am interested in:

On my 16v I have a 18mm EVO rear bar, have played with various heavy front bars, and find that the best combination is the 18mm EVO rear bar with a 23mm 16V front bar. The 500e front bar flattened the cornering stance but the associated understeer was unacceptable.

I liked the flatter cornering but could not live with the understeer but, if I could get a 20 or 21mm (or 22mm?) rear bar I would re-install the 500e front bar and recover the flatter cornering it produced. A stiffer rear bar with the 500e front bar should give more neutral flat handling eliminating most of the excess understeer.

Am I totally wrong on this or does it make sense? If it makes sense what are the possibilities of interesting a known after-market ARB manufacturer in turning out five or six bars? I would be their first customer.

Comments please.

Regards,
bobf.
___
2.3-16:ROTREX C-30 supercharger; Megasquirt EFI; EDIS/COP;2.5-16 cams & exh manifold; SLS plug; 2.25" exh; cut 500sl springs; 500e sway bar front, Evo rear; C-32 brakes front, 500e rear; 500e servo/master; SS lines; Bilstein sport front, Koni adj. rear; RDMTEK strut towers; Speedtek camber arms rear; nylon sub-frame bushes; SPEC lightened pressure plate; manually lockable 3.07 ASD diff; short shift gear change;nylon shift rod bushes; 215X40X17 on EVO 8.25 rims;
Matsalleh76

Zurück zu Tuning