Progress

Schrauben, How-to's, Tips, Daten

Moderator: Moderator

Beitragvon Racing » 15. Nov 2005, 23:22

Henger.No offense,but you´re only half right.
...and as such...the KMS is old news in comparsion.(and a LOT more expensive to boot-if you look at total cost)

Carbon.
We´re currently adressing this from a couple of different angles.
Frankly..we´d really like to offer this as a total package.

Ie;You,the customer,drop the car off for three days.
4th,you´ll be planed to take the converted car for a drive approx 60km up north to Frank to have the car run on a roller dyno.

Any and all base mapping...has already been done BEFORE hitting the dyno.
How can i be so sure of this?
As i´ve explained the VEMS is closed loop controlled by a wideband O2 sensor.That´s one of the features of it.
Ergo,the basic setup of the VEMS has already been done for the 16V-meaning that the peculiaritys of each specific engine will be taken care of by the closed loop running via the wideband closed loop implimentation.
The reason for taking the car to the dyno will mainly be to get a reciept of that the box is doing its job.

In other words...COULD you drive away WITHOUT hitting the dyno?
YES.
However...better safe than sorry.

Therein...lies the ambition to keep material cost to a minimum.

We haven´t really settled on a specific price as of yet,but a fair guesstimate would hoover around the low side 3000 euro including EVERYTHING.(VEMS,wiring loom,injectors,FPR,Wideband sensor,Dyno session,sensors,labour,EDIS trigger asf asf asf-to the letter as described)
I mean...to the letter...leave car..be around when we convert if you like...and pick it up three days later to drive the 60km to the dyno...and head for Germany -or whatever- again..
Zuletzt geändert von Racing am 16. Nov 2005, 09:58, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Racing
maxi Ventiler
maxi Ventiler

Beitragvon Racing » 15. Nov 2005, 23:37

btw.
Yes.
converting the VEMS to control an IR setup is a breeze.
Just...bolt the IR on there...and do a little remapping IF needed at all(remember the wideband closed loop control will take care of minor differences).
Recalibrate the TPS.(done in under 30 secs with the laptop)
..and drive away with your IR system installed.

Injectors that come with the setup we´ve ironed out by now will be the "white" Bosch 380cc ones.They´ll suffice to about that power level as well-Ie;approx 350hp.

Next step..is to via the EDIS wheel make the engine distributorless.
No point in dragin that distributor around anymore just for the sake of it
Racing
maxi Ventiler
maxi Ventiler

Beitragvon Henger » 15. Nov 2005, 23:54

Hi Jesper,

ich habe großen Respekt vor eurem Projekt und wünsche mir sehr das alles so funktioniert wie ihr es euch vorstellt :!:

Die Idee einer sich selbst programierenden Motorsteuerung ist genial, erst der Einbau und nur zur Kontrolle auf den Prüfstand, klingt sehr gut.

Wenn ihr verbindlich sagen könnt, was der ganze Spass kostet, wieviel an Mehrleistung gewonnen wird, könnte ich mir vorstellen Schweden zu besuchen :D :wink:

Eigentlich wollte ich schon immer mal nach Schweden :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: @z

Ich will nach Schweden, eine Kulturreise sozusagen...... Motorkulturreise :lol: :lol:

Der Frank
Mitglied im 190E-16V Club e.V.
Bild

Team-Moderation des w201-16v.de Forum
Bild

"16V Fahren, ich kann jederzeit damit aufhören, ährlisch"

Wenn die letzte Tankstelle schließt, wird Euch auffallen,
daß Greenpeace nachts kein Bier verkauft.
Henger
Administrator
Administrator

Bilder: 26
Autos: 2.5-16V EFI Bj.11/88 Erna

Beitragvon Racing » 16. Nov 2005, 00:09

Frank.
Just to tease you....
Know what´s even worse?
The microprosessor of the VEMS...let´s you install a display in the car if wanted..to keep track of what the engine is doing at all time...to a nominal cost of approx 50-60 euros.
Couple that...with a keyboard,and you can toss the entire need for a laptop out the door.
In fact...implimentation of running the whole deal via your cell phone is in the works,and that ALSO means that any and all firmware upgrades can be done via telemtry.
Take that...to the bank :D

Frank.
nur um dich zu ärgern....
weißt du was noch viel besser ist?
an den microprozessor der VEMS... kann man ein display anschließen und im auto installieren.. um zu überwachen, was der motor zu jedem zeitpunkt macht.. zu einem preis von 50-60euro.
Verbinde das mit einem keyboard, und du brauchst nicht mal mehr einen laptop!
Tatsächlich..ist das ganze per handy laufen zu lassen in planung, und das bedeutet dass alle art von firmware updates über diese telemetrie geladen werden können.
da schauste, was :D

translation by carboni
Racing
maxi Ventiler
maxi Ventiler

Beitragvon Racing » 16. Nov 2005, 00:19

Btw..built in anti theft system is already here.
An "I" button.(electronic check button)
Racing
maxi Ventiler
maxi Ventiler

Beitragvon carbon » 16. Nov 2005, 03:44

I'm blown away!! this keeps getting better and better, I WANT this little engine display in my car!! frank.. make it a 7day stay, i'm coming with you :-) Sweden we're coming!!! no.. I'm dead serious! i'm getting a second job tomorrow!
Suche:
EVO1
Memory Sitze mit Spannungscodierung
SatzEVO2 Felgen
carbon
hyper-ventilator
hyper-ventilator

Beitragvon Racing » 16. Nov 2005, 10:09

Carbon.
It´s a little feature called "auto tune",and it´s here to stay :shock: :D

To explain how it works...
A wideband lambda sensor(the americans insist on calling it an O2 sensor) has an output that amongst other things react to the amount of free ozone in the exhaust thereby producing a voltage over what´s called a Nerst cell.
Sort of...like a little generator if you wish.

Now..the lambda sensor is amongst other, a device that as any electronic device is very heat sensitive.
Therefore...a wideband sensor has its own pump cell,heater asf.
This way the temp as well as the gas mass put through the sensor can be controlled in a minute manner,and the output voltage it delivers can be relied upon to be more or less linear over a wide array of air/fuel ratios-something that can NOT be said for a REGULAR lambda sensor.

Alright.
This info get interpreted by the control box,and get fed in an active manner to the box in a mode known as "closed loop".
The box in itself compensates for any "faults" it is making..and adjusts accordingly.

The thing with the VEMS..is that just as you have matrixes to fill out for different load point when it comes to fuel and spark requirements..there is a matrix given for what target lambda value you want at different loads and revs as well.
This means..that within given reason..you simply write(program)the box to hunt for a given lambda value anywhere in the engines working band.

You even tell the box the AMOUNT it´s allowed to adjust in percent.
Reason...is that if the engine due to mechanical faults start to stray away from what´s reasonable...you drop out of the "zone" where the autotune does its job just to get aware of that there is a REAL problem at hand.

So...how can i be so sure that you will be able to have this installed and drive away?
Because...when we´re done we will have done all the base programing on my car,and altho two engines are never totaly alike..they´ll be close enough for rock n roll...and that´s where the autotune takes over.. :wink:
In other words...the work done by us in the group currently..will suffice to get the car started and running at least reasonably well...after that...just drive the car around and it´ll learn by itself. :lol:

Ergo sum..you have one completely adaptive box 8)
Zuletzt geändert von Racing am 16. Nov 2005, 10:20, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Racing
maxi Ventiler
maxi Ventiler

Beitragvon Racing » 16. Nov 2005, 10:18

Btw.
Display is as of current available in green or blue background.

Übrigends.
das display gibt momentan mit grüner oder blauer hintergrundsbeleuchtung.
Racing
maxi Ventiler
maxi Ventiler

Beitragvon carbon » 16. Nov 2005, 20:57

I'll take the blue one :-)

but if I dont want the VEMS to learn, i still can set the parameters as I want, right? maybe if I'm looking for max. poweroutput or best fuel efficiency? could I then go on and change that around, whenever I want by just pushing some buttons? lets say I'm on the autobahn and decide to save some gas and do that by just pushing the eco-button. or the other way around.. just like the new M5 where you can press a button that'll give u an extra 100bhp?

aber wenn ich nicht will das die VEMS sich automatisch einstellt, kann ich doch immer noch die parameter manuell einstellen oder? z.b wenn ich max leistung möchte oder möglichst spritsparend..? könnte ich das dann einfach mit ein paar tasten hin und her verändern? sagen wir ich fahre auf der autobahn und möchte nun sprit sparen und tuhe dies dann indem ich einfach die eco-taste drücke oder andersrum wie beim neuen M5 wo man nur einen knopf drückt der dann einem 100Ps mehr zu verfügung stellt.
Suche:
EVO1
SatzEVO2 Felgen
carbon
hyper-ventilator
hyper-ventilator

Beitragvon Racing » 16. Nov 2005, 23:45

Bild Bild
Racing
maxi Ventiler
maxi Ventiler

Beitragvon Racing » 17. Nov 2005, 00:19

Yes,running dual maps is a breeze with the VEMS.
Switch...is one of your choice.
Simple as that.

klar, zwei motor-programme laufen zu lassen ist in klacks für die VEMS.
ein schalter zu verwenden wäre dann deine freie entscheidung.
so einfach.

Buuuut..it doesn´t stop there.
From a turbo perspective(and i guess it takes a keen eye to spot at the laptop picture)there´s ALS(anti lag switch) (the way to get turbo boost from standstill) as well as shift cut built in as well.

ABER..damit noch nicht genug.
Wenn man an Turbos denkt (und ich denke mal es etwas schwer das auf den bildern zu erkennen) ist da sogar eine ALS-Taste (anti lag switch) damit bekommt man bereits ladedruck im stillstand. sogar an ein [shift cut?] wurde gedacht.

(shift cut: denke mal dadruch wird der ladedruck beim gangwechsel hochgehalten?)

Yes,you can turn the auto tune off and on by the simple press of a button at the laptop at will.
Implimentation will be in real time-Ie right there and then.

Klar, diesen Selbst-lernmodus kannst du deaktivieren, einfach per tastendruck auf dem laptop, wenn erwünscht.
Die Umsetzung geschiet in echtzeit. d.h gleich an ort und stelle.

translation by carboni
Racing
maxi Ventiler
maxi Ventiler

Beitragvon Racing » 21. Nov 2005, 02:10

Time for a little sum up.
Have played around with the car in general a little the last few days. Summary is..she runs SO much better it´s not even funny anymore. Idle..is dead on @830rpms with a 20-30rpm deviation. In other words..she runs clock clean.

Zeit für ein kleines Resümee.
Ich habe mit der Gesamtabstimmung ein wenig herumgespielt die letzten Tage...Zusammenfassend... die (Machine?, Ziege?) läuft so gut, daß mir die Worte fehlen. Der Leerlauf steht stabil bei 830 U/min mit einer Maximalabweichung von 20-30 Umdrehungen. Mit anderen Worten - wie ein Schweizer Uhrwerk

Tonite for instance...i spent a little time with the laptop sitting besides me out on the freeway, and for the lack of better words..when i pass 4000rpm...the little engine starts to sound pissed off! ..and 200km/h comes up fairly fast. At least...MUCH faster than it did with the POS KE unit under the hood. Week coming...i have planed to install the other cylinder head and the somewhat hotter camshaft. After that...it´s dyno time.

Heute Abend bin ich nochmal auf die Piste mit dem Laptop neben dran, da fehlen mir einfach die Worte...oberhalb 4000 Umdrehungen geht die Maschine ab wie der Teufel. insgesamt deutlich schneller als mit der Werks [ POS ] - Einspritzanlage.. die 200 km/h sind herrlich schnell erreicht. Kommende Woche gibts noch den anderen Zylinder-Kopf und eine schärfere Nockenwelle...Danach .. gehts ab zum Prüfstand
:edit : alle Übersetzungsfehler diesmal by coolsoft
Racing
maxi Ventiler
maxi Ventiler

Beitragvon Chris Martens » 21. Nov 2005, 13:12

moin Gerd,

good work with the translation!
POS is the abbreviation for Piece Of Shit - that doesn't need a translation :P
Es sind ja auch Minderjährige im Forum :lol:

bis denn,
Christian

1989 300TE
1984 2.3-16
Chris Martens
hyper-ventilator
hyper-ventilator

Bilder: 19
Autos: ja

Beitragvon Henger » 21. Nov 2005, 13:54

Racing, deinen ersten Kunden hast du schon gefunden :mrgreen: @z

Gruß der Frank
Bild

Bild

"16V Fahren, ich kann jederzeit damit aufhören, ährlisch"

Wenn die letzte Tankstelle schließt, wird Euch auffallen,
daß Greenpeace nachts kein Bier verkauft.
Henger
Administrator
Administrator

Bilder: 26
Autos: 2.5-16V EFI Bj.11/88 Erna

Beitragvon Chris Martens » 21. Nov 2005, 17:45

Jesper,

that's a wonderful project!

I'd like to know, why don't you use the MS-System? You know the threads on 190revolution, silvercosworth is selling a kit...
What are the pros of the VEMS system compared to MS?

Ich hätte gerne gewußt, warum Ihr nicht das Megasquirt-System verwendet? Du kennst die Diskussionen bei 190revolution, der user silvercosworth verkauft Bausätze...
Was sind die Vorteile von VEMS vergleichen mit MS?

Furthermore you mentioned to make a KE-lookalike-setup for all poor guys who need a TÜV-inspection. THAT would be fun.

Why does the EFI setup always need that ugly fuel rail? Is it possible to use the single lines from the KE's fuel distributor or at least something that looks like these lines? M102.990 has the flexible black lines, shouldn't be the problem to get/make some lines look the same?

Du erwähnst, daß es einen Bausatz geben soll, der wie eine KE aussieht, für all die armen Schweine, die mit dem Auto zum TÜV müssen. DAS wird ein Spaß werden.

Warum braucht so eine elektronische Benzineinspritzung immer dieses häßliche Druckrohr? Kann man nicht die einzelnen Leitungen der KE vom Mengenteiler verwenden? Oder zumindest irgendetwas, das so ähnlich aussieht? Der M102.990 hat diese flexiblen schwarzen Leitungen, es sollte doch möglich sein, Leitungen zu nehmen / zu machen, die genau so aussehen?

regards,
bis denn,
Christian

1989 300TE
1984 2.3-16
Chris Martens
hyper-ventilator
hyper-ventilator

Bilder: 19
Autos: ja

Beitragvon Steffen102992 » 22. Nov 2005, 00:53

Tolle Sache Racing!
Wäre das auch was für meinen Evo2 Motor mit 11,3:1 Verdichtung?
MfG, Steffen!

Bild

Bild

Meine Autos:
-190E 2,5-16 Evo 1 Bj. 89 in Restauration
-190E 2,5-16 Bj.91 mit Evo2 Motor,EDK
-190E 2,3-16 RÜF Bj. 87
-190E 2,3-16 KAT Bj. 86
-190E 1,8 Avantgarde Rosso Bj 92
-124er Cabrio E34 AMG Bj.93 (Basis 300CE-24)
-S211 E220 T CDI Bj. 08
Steffen102992

Bilder: 2
Autos: W201, A124, S211

Beitragvon carbon » 22. Nov 2005, 15:30

steffen102992 hat geschrieben:Tolle Sache Racing!
Wäre das auch was für meinen Evo2 Motor mit 11,3:1 Verdichtung?

da hast du wohl noch nicht alles gelesen...Bild
aber sicher!! gerade für deinen motor wäre das spitze!!! wie racing schreibt ist diese VEMS für ALLE motoren geeignet!!
Suche:
EVO1
SatzEVO2 Felgen
carbon
hyper-ventilator
hyper-ventilator

Beitragvon Mr. Nice » 22. Nov 2005, 20:07

Racing, good job :D

Ich will auch nach schweden !!! Ich hasse die KE...

Ne jetzt mal im ernst, wenn sich das so verwirklichen lässt und die kosten im rahmen bleiben ist mein nächster Schweden besuch schon fest. Wie siehts denn eigentlich mit den abgaswerten aus? Bleiben die grünen bereich oder werden die besser/schlechter? Kann sowas später auch eingetragen werden??
Zuletzt geändert von Mr. Nice am 22. Nov 2005, 21:05, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Mfg Mr.Nice
Mr. Nice
80 Ventiler
80 Ventiler

Bilder: 1

Beitragvon Racing » 22. Nov 2005, 20:42

Mr Nice.
The exhaust pollute values will DECREASE with elevated control-and..the VEMS indeed puts you in charge of that.
In other words,the engine will run cleaner than it ever did on the KE unit.
Don´t know what the parameters are in Deutschland,but around here the laws for the 16V are liberal.1%CO is allowed.

Mr. Nice,
die Schadstoffe im Abgas werden bei verbesserter Motorsteuerung ABNEHMEN - und, ja, die VEMS ...?
Mit anderen Worten, der Motor wird sauberer laufen, als er es je mit einer KE-Steuerung getan hat.
Ich kenne die Grenzwerte in Deutschland nicht, aber bei uns sind die Gesetze für die 16V großzügig. 1% CO im Abgas ist zulässig.

Steffen.
Yeah.
The point is;
VEMS=versatile engine management system.
In other words..it could be setup to control your briggs&stratton lawn mower if you want...hell..it could be setup to control a damn chainsaw. :shock:

Steffen,
jaaa.
Die Sache ist die,
VEMS heißt soviel wie Vielseitiges Motor Management System
Mit anderen Worten... es könnte eingerichtet werden, um Deinen Rasenmäher zu steuern, wenn Du willst... es könnte verwendet werden, um irgendeine dämliche Motorsäge zu steuern.

Christian.
Uhu on the megasquirt.
What bowling&grippo did was to bring affordable EFI to the masses.
I salute them for that.
However..i´ll reply in the same manner i did on the Porsche 931 board(used to tune of those to the sky).
Haven´t checked the MS lately,but the VEMS-at least as far as i´m concerned is a notch or two above.
Main reason is motherboard layout(yeah..i know the 3 version is available for the MS).
I´m not saying that there´s anything at fault with the MS,but it was never intended to control engines repeatably to be run on the edge.
Simple truth of life.
The VEMS however..was designed by racers..that are aware of race engine needs.Strong points in MY book are that both these systems are what´s known as opens source.
That..means that they´re lightyears ahead of the competition,and frankly speaking..i´m FED UP by australian companys that sell EFIs out the door and don´t understand the meaning of the word support.
One simple truth of life...is that murphys law states that if anything can go wrong it will..and then we need to have some sort of remedy.
The VEMS..is a professional product as far as i´m concerned,and once the upgrades are in the making..it´ll be a question of simply downloading them via the VEMS homepage as far as i´ve understood.
There indeed IS an advantage in open source..cause there´s no way in hell people are going to let ther "secrets" out if there´s money to be made.
As far as i´m concerned...the days of the 5000 euro base systems are over.

Christian,
tja, die Megasquirt.
Bowling und Grippo haben eine erschwingliche EFI für den breiten Markt entwickelt.
Ich respektiere sie dafür.
Allerdings... wie ich schon im Porsche 931 Forum geantwortet habe (...)
Ich habe mir die letzten Entwicklungen der MS nicht angesehen aber die VEMS ist - zumindest meiner Meinung nach - eine bis zwei Stufen darüber.
Der Hauptgrund ist das motherboard layout (ja, ich weiß, daß Version 3 für MS erhältlich ist).
Ich behaupte nicht, daß irgendetwas mit MS nicht in Ordnung wäre, aber das System wurde nie dafür entwickelt, um wiederholbar aus Motoren alles an Leistung herauszuholen.
So einfach ist das.
Die VEMS hingegen... wurde von Rennleuten entwickelt... die sich über die Notwendigkeiten von Rennmotoren im klaren sind. Für beide Systeme spricht meiner Ansicht nach, daß sie open source sind (das heißt, die Quelldateien sind für jedermann frei zugänglich).
Das bedeutet, sie sind den Konkurenzprodukten um Lichtjahre voraus und, ehrlich gesagt, ich habe diese australischen Firmen satt, die einem ein EFI-System an der Tür verkaufen und das Wort Kundenbetreuung nicht kennen.
Eine einfache Lebensregel... ist Murphys Gesetz, das besagt, daß alles schief geht, was schief gehen kann... und dann brauchst Du einfach Unterstützung.
Das VEMS... ist meiner Ansicht nach ein professionelles Produkt und wenn es mal Verbesserungen geben wird, wird man sie einfach von der VEMS homepage herunterladen können, soviel ich weiß.
Dies ist in der Tat der große Vorteil von open source... normalerweise wird ja niemand seine Geheimnisse preisgeben, sobald man damit Geld verdienen könnte.
Ich denke... die Tage der Grundsysteme, die 5000 Euro kosten, sind vorbei.

Speaking of which..at the shop right now..welding up the intake for the turbo engine 8)
The TIG...comes in handy at times :lol: Oh....and the intercooler gets the same treatment as we speak.
Also..spent a little time polishing the exhaust man today,and..it comes out great.
I´ll post pics shortly.
..even the glass bead cabinet has done its fair share of work..and stuf like the front chain cover,engine mounts,oil pan and so fort..come out squeky clean :)

Da wir gerade davon reden... gerade jetzt in der Werkstatt... braten sie den Einlaßkrümmer für den Turbomotor zusammen.
Das Schweißgerät kann man manchmal schon sinnvoll einsetzen. Ach, der Ladeluftkühler bekommt gerade die selbe Behandlung.
Ach... ich habe heute den Auspuffkrümmer ein bißchen poliert und... er sieht geil aus.
Ich werde bald Bilder posten.
...auch die Strahlkammer hat ihren Beitrag geleistet... so Sachen wie der vordere Steuergehäusedeckel, Motorträger, Ölwanne und so weiter... sind blitze blank geworden.

translation by Chris Martens
Racing
maxi Ventiler
maxi Ventiler

Beitragvon Racing » 22. Nov 2005, 20:44

Btw Christian.
Yes,you need the fuelrail.
To a point at least i guess.
Never tried running "direct lines" to the injectors,but i guess it could be done.
On my Chevrolet Bigblock i run the early series Bosch so called "036" injectors that are intended for hose attachment of fuel.
Still use a fuel rail tho.

Speakin of Silver,i find his work top notch judging from the pictures.

übrigens, Christian,
Ja, Du brauchst das Verteilerrohr für den Kraftstoff.
Bis zu einem gewissen Punkt wenigstens, glaube ich.
Wir haben die direkte Spritzufuhr zu den Einspritzventilen nie ausprobiert, aber ich glaube, es wäre möglich.
An meinem Chevrolet bigblock habe ich irgendwelche alten Bosch Einspritzdüsen verwendet, Serie "036", die sind eigentlich für eine einzelne Spritleitung vorgesehen.
Ich verwende aber trotzdem ein Verteilerrohr.

Wo Du Silvercosworth erwähnst, seine Arbeit ist erstklassig, soweit ich das von den Fotos beurteilen kann.

translation by Chris Martens
Racing
maxi Ventiler
maxi Ventiler

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Tuning